Rationale: This project helps students to work on their technical painting skills when they are decorating their own fish bowl to look like the ocean. They are also working on fine motor skills when they paint their hands and make a hand print on the paper for their fish. The students will also learn about color by using a complementary color pair to make the fish bowl project.
- Children’s Tempera paint
- Paint brushes
- Googly eyes (optional)
- Blue paper
- Small shells to glue on (optional)
Motivation: Have any of you ever had a pet fish? Today we are going to use paper and paint to create our very own fishbowl or fish tank and decorate the inside to look like the ocean! I want you all to think about what we have learned about the ocean and what you could possibly paint in the fish bowl.
- Cut out large fishbowl/fish tank shape for the students to decorate.
- Have the students paint one of their hands orange and create a hand print in the middle of the paper.
- Decorate the hand print to look like a fish by either drawing an eye or gluing on a googly eye.
- Decorate the rest of the fish bowl.